Many More Educated on Gluten SensitivityThis weekend I spoke at the Charleston gluten free/allergy free expo. There were an estimated 4-500 people in attendance. Both Fox and CBS News came out to cover the show and do interviews with me – which was great because the gluten free message was able to reach the entire city of Charleston! I had the great fortune of sharing the stage with Melinda Dennis. Melinda is an expert nutritionist focused on helping patients with celiac disease at Harvard’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. We talked about the pitfalls of the gluten free diet… The full video is available to Gluten Free Society members here <<<
What To Do When the Gluten Free Diet FailsThe topic of the day focused on what to do when the gluten free diet fails. Melinda and I both touched on multiple issues that patients face in their journey to recover their health:
- Gluten free substitute foods are very unhealthy
- Cross contamination and hidden gluten
- Damaged digestive tract
- Dysbiosis (abnormal bacterial growth in the gut)
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
- Hidden food allergies
- Digestive enzyme deficiencies
- Intestinal infections
- and much more…
- Avoid all grains including oats, corn, and rice.
- Check your medications (if you are taking any) for hidden gluten.
- Have your vitamin and mineral levels checked comprehensively by your doctor.
- Have your doctor test you for delayed hypersensitivity food reactions.
- Have your doctor perform a gastrointestinal test to measure for hidden infections, leaky gut, and digestive enzyme deficiencies.
- Once you have collected all of the above information, implement action steps based on the results.