Gluten Free AisleI was recently featured on Fox News to discuss gluten free foods and the gluten free aisle in the grocery store. The interview included one of the most common questions I get asked – What is safe to eat on the gluten free aisle in the grocery store? Please take a minute to listen to the discussion below.
Stop The Gluten Free MadnessI am all for the occasional conveniences in life, but at what point do we step back and say that this has gone a little too far? Going gluten free is about one thing – Better Health. If that is the case, why do so many people reach for the least healthy “gluten free” items on the grocery store shelf? Many of these products are not healthy to eat in the first place. Let’s take a look at some common findings in “gluten free” products:
- Large quantities of processed sugar (Newsflash – this just in – sugar is bad for us!)
- Genetically modified ingredients (GMO’s have been shown to damage the GI lining)
- Grain based substitute flours like corn and rice (substitute grains are known to create the same types of problems as wheat, barley, and rye)
- Thickening agents that are difficult to digest (xanthan gum)
- Processed dairy products with added hormones and from cows eating a grain based diet.
The Cardinal Rule of Nutrition
- One can neither achieve or maintain health eating food that is not healthy (regardless of gluten status).