- SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1 small romaine heart, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup black beans (optional)
- 4 ounces cooked sliced chicken
- 1/2 of an avocado, diced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered (optional)
- 1/4 cup diced cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 small dried chipotle pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 limes, juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup olive oil
- Make the dressing: Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Break the dried pepper into a few pieces, discarding the stem and most of the seeds. Roast the pepper for about 10 minutes.
- Remove pepper from the oven and put it into a bowl with the vinegar, garlic, oregano, lime juice, and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to soak for an hour.
- Put the mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Slowly drizzle the oil into the blender to form the dressing. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Make the salad: Preheat broiler on high.
- Put the squash on a pan and toss with a teaspoon of olive oil. Broil on high for about 10 minutes to lightly char.
- Put the lettuce into a large shallow bowl. Top with the squash, beans, chicken, avocado, tomato, cilantro, and scallions.
- Drizzle on dressing to your taste,(1/4 cup or so) and reserve the rest for future use.