No one should take supplements on their own other then a daily multivitamin, until their doctors prescribe them. You can create imbalances and toxicity not knowing what you're doing. My nutritionist is an MD and a Do. HE prescribed the iodine and the form to take it in. I've read about the toxic problem, but have also read kelp is now so contaminated it can't be used for anything. The truth about these things might be entirely different from what we're reading on the web. Lori, ask your doctor about iodine. He'll tell you if it's appropriate for you.