Blueberries and Sunburns
Have you ever thought – how do blueberries survive on the bush for so long in the blistering 100 plus degree temperatures? The answer is simple – the photo pigments in their skin are very potent antioxidants, and they have the ability to protect against ultraviolet radiation from the sun. This same benefit translates to you when you eat them.
As a matter of fact, blueberries are a great natural sunscreen. Animal studies show that eating blueberries can prevent cancer induced by radiation. Make sure to take advantage of this wonderful berry this Summer. To get you off and going, try the recipe below 🙂
Here is a great recipe if you are looking for a way to have a muffin. It is TRUE gluten free (no grain at all). This dish was featured at our last Gluten Free Society meeting – The Gluten Free LIE.
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 cup Almond Flour
- 2 tablespoons Flax Seed Meal
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk or Almond Milk
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Raw Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 to 1 cup Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk together Coconut Flour and Almond Flour, Flax Seed Meal, Baking Soda, Salt, and Cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk, Eggs, Raw Honey, and Vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the egg mixture.
- Whisk together until well combined.
- Fold in Blueberries.
- Add to a lined muffin tin. I fill them up almost to the top because they don’t rise very much.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Courtesy of Laurie Crouch
Need More TRUE Gluten Free Recipe Ideas?
Click here to check out 173 gluten free, dairy free, and sugar free recipe ideas.
You can also sign up for our free email newsletter below or follow our recipes on youtube…
Always looking out for you,
Dr. Osborne – The Gluten Free Warrior
Don’t be stingy – share this article with your friends and family, and if you don’t get our newsletter, sign up below…